Search This Blog

2006/11/15

November 3rd

It’s been a super day. Just before 10-am 1000’s of people lined up to get into the show. The queues were long at every entrance. Ladies in bright colored quilting attire clutching large bags made in the latest workshop waited in utmost anticipation for the doors to be swung open. Security guards held the crowds at bay. I filmed the lines and interviewed some of the patrons.
Keith and I armed with cameras went to the furthest set of booths, figuring that folk might decide to begin closest to the door... to be honest I don’t think it made much difference.
However, I got a super buy. 5 pieces of antique Afghani hand made jewelry for a very low price. I couldn’t believe it. So I figured we made a good choice. These ladies needed to rest their feet early.... As I was taking their photo. They recognized my name plate and they are the co-ordinators of a program I’m doing in Santa Clara California. So we had a chat.
Bumped into John Bunge, Husband of Cathy Miller... so we had another chat
Now there are some wondrous walking masterpieces. I’m impressed.
Really there is just everything you need for quilting on show here in Houston. The Festival caters for your every need. I did a little stop at the bling stall, yes you can even buy gold jewelry, antique jewelry, beaded jewelry, broken china jewelry... you name it. It’s here.
My passion is vintage and there are dozens of booths stocked high with vintage table cloths, fabric, feed sacks and an article I haven't seen before, washed woven grain sacks. They are plain, thick weave with a red stripe up the middle.
Personally I prefer to buy my vintage at antique malls. The prices are much lower.
Rick rack in every color is on display as are bright colored bake-light buttons.
I visited the book stalls, the book you enquired about is not in stock... maybe she is self published....but I’ll look again tomorrow.
Bumped into friends from Australia and interviewed them on `1 and then friends from Michigan....
Now did you know there are now 28 million quilters in the United States. The average age of the dedicated quilter is 59!!!!!
I’ve not had any dramas, muggings or dramatic adventures, (although there was a punch up in Macy’s yesterday) Two men were fighting over a woman and child.... now I watch CI, so I was hiding behind the ladies clothes stand. I wasn’t going to move in case they had a gun. Nothing happened except a few thumps and some words I have never heard before!!


Illustrated blog on
http://web.mac.com/pamholland3/iWeb/Site%202/Welcome.html