Search This Blog

2005/10/10

One of my dreams have come true.

It has taken me three days to be able to write this. I’ve had the time, but somehow the feelings were not right.
I’m on the Ferry from France back to England after an amazing three days.
When I got off the Ferry on Monday, It was a warm sunny day…. I ignored my GPS and followed the signs to Bayeux which I believed was about 30 kms from the Ferry Port…. It was just like driving in a picture postcard…. The sun was low on the fields and everything was golden … the sunflowers were abundant and the narrow roads wound through green fields and small villages… Sheep, cows and horses studded the fields. The houses were wonderful. Rustic, ancient by our standards and welcoming with garlands of flowerboxes… sometimes the shutters were blue, at other times they were white… but always framing lace curtains. The roads were unnervingly narrow and considering that I had to drive a right handed car on the right side of the road, which is really the wrong side for us… I think I did pretty well.
However… I did get lost and after going round and round for an hour or so, I put on the GPS which directed me to an ugly freeway and cars whizzed past me at an alarming speed.
Finally I arrived in Bayeux… but I couldn’t find the hotel, so after going down a one way street and having the locals wave and gesticulate wildly … I parked the car, causing a little dispute with an angry English Tourist… I decided I was safer to walk and after an hour or so and a little detective work, I finally found my elusive lodgings… I booked and was shown to my room… well, it was not quite what I’m used to I must say, but it was clean, very sparse but comfortable and quiet.
Shrugging my shoulders…I walked off to find my car and finally was ensconced in the hotel…. I had one heck of a headache… and decided the need for coffee. There is no food allowed in the room, so I had to go to a Brassier and have a meal. I don’t speak French, but I managed to order a traditional meal, and the coffee was to die for.
I slept like a log. No noise, the computer playing classical music quietly, and no TV. (I couldn’t stomach Days of our lives in French.) However I was frustrated that I couldn’t get on to the Internet… that’s like cutting off my right arm.