Search This Blog

2006/03/09

Home and Recovered.

Recover - "to restore ones self to ones normal state" Just what is normal? Last week was a week of recovery, renewal and a sense of home. However, there was no time for too much relaxation because I took off again on Friday to teach in Loxton a town in the Riverland some 250 kms from Adelaide. With my Ipod in full force and the sun on my back, I drove through red soiled country, a ferry across the river, through vine laden hills and wheat fields that fairly glowed in the evening light. I observed flocks of pink and grey galahs and white parrots against the blue sky, I thought I LOVE MY JOB.
My host and hostess are farmers and their house is big, sprawling and welcoming. We sat and chatted over dinner in their large country kitchen and shared similar experiences.
I LOVE MY JOB, I meet the most wonderful people.
We had a two day class and at lunch time despite the high heat we sat under the big sprawling trees out the front of the cottage on the property that is now a most wonderful Quilt Shop.
Over lunch Pam (student) was explaining in great detail about a problem she had with "Dulcie" and how her neighbor was trying to help her out in this very difficult situation.... Her neighbor, a Nun I think, didn't know how to help so she offered to sprinkle holy water on "Dulcie". I surmised that Dulcie was an errant child or difficult elderly parent... No, she turned out to be Pam’s very large quilting machine. Now the mind boggles at a neighbor Nun sprinkling holy water on Dulcie to make her perform.....!!!!
Students came from far and near and once again I am humbled that they choose to come to my classes. I LOVE MY JOB.
Trying to fit everything in is a little difficult at the moment... but early mornings and late evenings accompanied by a little Bach helps. This morning friend Jeanette and I drove to the beach and rode along the foreshore. It was a magical morning. Clear skies, sun on the ocean and good conversation, then a gourmet breakfast cooked by Daughter Callie.
I have a great deal of writing to complete and very little time to consider quilting, but I did get to the machine for a few hours this week. I LOVE MY JOB
The latter part of today had been preparation for another 4 days away into the outback. This will be my routine for the next few weeks. The family is surviving, the dogs are pleased to see me home and the doves have forgotten I'm their provider. Oh well I'm recovered.