Search This Blog

2006/03/23

Police Encounter

Back from my travels once again, this time it was a little further away in Mildura. I had a great time with the group. Wonderful folk.
Travel on Monday was interesting.... I've mentioned previously that I'm making a documentary and I stop often, so having a full day to return home was a luxury. I went through Barmera to visit Lake Bonney and shoot footage of the trees, wildlife and the stark environment and then drove down to Swan Reach to the ferry, down past Sedan and I was sailing along very nicely. ABC radio was entertaining me. The GPS set to keep the speed in check, cruise control set at 108 just below the speed limit.
I was listening to the Stain Guru.... she had a phone question "how do you get boys water out of your shoe"? "boys water.... you mean urine, how did it get in your shoe?" hesitantly the person on the line just said......"Well lets say he was in time out and had his revenge".... I was laughing so much that I almost failed to see the Policeman on his bike coming towards me. Suddenly he put his hand out, turned on his flashing lights and signaled me to pull over.
"Help" I thought.... And I looked at my speed... No problem, well maybe he wants directions.
As he pulled up behind me I wound down my window. He approached the car.... (I wasn't going to get out, I watch CI and this was a deserted road right out in the countryside)
"What the problem" I asked him. "Do you realize you were speeding"? I opened my eyes wide... I knew I was within the limit... Unfortunately it seems it was the wrong limit... it was now 100. Whoops. So I produced my license and he looked at the GPS and said that he didn't realize that it gave the speed..... "Sure I said and it beeps if I go over".... So we began to talk about the GPS... I mentioned I use it in the USA and Britain.... "Wow what sort of a job do you do to travel so much"........ a little silence and then I said "I teach Quilting" He looked at me as if I was pulling his leg..... Quilting.... "Oh yes he said I see your number plate."
OK so I had to tell him all about Quilting. There we stood on the side of the road chatting about his impending wedding, where he was going on his honeymoon. His children he was leaving with his ex..... etc.... etc.... "Have you got children he said?"..... Well that began another conversation.
"OK now tell me about this quilting you do".... so we had show and tell right on the road side, Drowning Bear draped across his bike and the sun shining against the brightest blue sky.....
I got a warning and a blue slip which I told him I would put in my diary for posterity.....
but we had a great chat and he got to know about quilting.... I have his number because I think he deserves a card for his wedding in 2 weeks time.....
I now have 3 weeks at home teaching which is a real luxury....
Moral of the story.... You never develop character by never making a mistake.