Search This Blog

2006/09/21

Have you ever had one of those days?

I hate to begin with a comment, Have you ever had one of those days?…But yes, it’s been a bit like that today.
The day started well at 6.00 am and I knew I had to go the city for an appointment so I wanted to get my obligatory 4 hours of work in partially before I left. So out to the shed at dawn.
The bird song at that time of the morning is absolutely wonderful. 100's of birds are waking and greeting the dawn in song.
I worked for a few hours until grandson woke and then Keith came into the shed, “Got the car Keys?” that always spells alarm if they are not in the right place. Hmm, but I’ve never lost them.
You see I only have one set of car keys to my car that has all that computer stuff to prevent burglars. In fact, I actually hid the other set from the kids on one occasion in preparation for travel and I have never been able to find where I hid them. It’s a bit embarrassing really when you’re supposed to be intelligent. I hunted high and low, the blood pressure rising, the husband trying not to appear annoyed and a daughter with small baby waiting to be picked up from her car repairer.
I stripped the bed, crawled around the floor, checked the shed and every place I could think of. Darn the car company, I chatted to my jovial car representative over a year ago about getting new keys, "sure" he said (THREE separate occasions I asked him)!!!!! Happy chappy.
Now I’m stuck.
Ok, they were not on any surface in the entire house, the shed, the laundry, the new sun room.…On the seats and benches outside, in bags and shoes. Dam!!!!!!
Ok, so we transfer baby seat to the big truck and (4 wheel drive but I call it a truck) and I have to take that to town. While we are out, the car company will come and get my car with a tow truck and “we have to put a new computer in it” I’m told.
So out for the day and I first have to buy my next 100m of vliesofix. I searched for the company I usually purchase it from but they have shifted. A few stops later, a visit to a fabric company friend and I finally have the new address. Up and down Payneham road, I find the closest number and decide to walk to find the company.
After half an hour or so I find them located in the back of a dry cleaners, and the jovial little lady in the front office said “Sorry lady, she’s out today"
I think she saw me grimace, but I tried to smile through my teeth.
Sigh!!!

So I left and continued into town and picked up my new glasses, (I've needed new ones since May 2005, but haven't been around long enough to do all the medical stuff.) They are rather funky, red ones again with black and white zebra stripes on the inside.…I noticed the tint was a different colour to my others. The assistant tried to tell me they were the same. The bubble over my head said “honey don'’t mess with me, I know all about colour” !! checked the order, they had made a mistake. "Just leave it” I said not too graciously!!!! Another grimace.

Down to IKEA to look at a desk I desperately need for my work. I’m juggling 9 ft long patterns on my small light box and it's really difficult. This desk is an artist raised desk, 7 ft long, 2 ft wide and has a light box in it. Just what I need. I went to order it, “sorry we don’t have the white legs to match" so I ordered just plain wood and if I need them white I'll paint the darn things, they cost $40 each anyway, surely I should get discount.!

Rang the car company and I wondered how they could tow my car from our narrow drive and the car was in front ways? do they drag it out backwards? Hope they don't damage the quilting number plates. “No” said the same cheerful car rep, “we had to break into your car" eek I don'’t want to know.

Arrived home mentally exhausted to find that Son Jamie has his French companions in tow and they would like to hear about the Bayeux. But I was out so sadly we missed the opportunity.

Keith and I sat and ate reheated dinner and I came out to the shed to relax and finish my four-hour stint while he went back to the office because the computer at home has a problem.
I put on a little Handel very loudly, began to prepare some applique, walked past the computer desk and jingled the keys.......… Ugg, there they were hanging behind a case that my Grandson Kodi had nicely hung over the keys he had stashed for me.!!!!!

Keith arrived home an hour or so ago wrestling my new standard Ott light into the shed. It arrived today after traveling around Australia because the guy didn't leave it on the front verandah as requested... After 3 phone calls I located it on it's way back to melbourne......!
It's unbelievably heavy, encased in 3 boxes we released it from it's wrapping and assembled it.
I asked Keith to take out the boxes which were taking up all the space in the middle of the room. "Nup, I'll do it in the morning" So, as you do, I began to take them out and then he assisted. Wonderful... whilst I was testing my new light, comparing colours etc. congratulating myslef on my purchase, I hear the boxes being dismantled., with my good scissors girls, yes, with my very best scissors plowing through 3 layers of carboard.
What an interesting day.
Tomorrow I'm going to stay in my payjamas, eat toast and vegemite and watch movies as I work in the shed. So please don 't come visiting.
I've been home 10 days now and I’m working hard on my major project. I discipline myself to at least 4 hours work each day, and an hour each on my writings. However, most days, like yesterday are 16 hour days out here in the shed.
Have you ever become ingrossed in a project that you are powerless to control? Maybe I’m lucky, but I think it'’s a gift. It just takes days like today to make life interesting.l