Search This Blog

2005/09/29

Bangkok too

I have put up the first photos I have taken on webshots... http://community.webshots.com/user/caljin

I had breakfast at a sumptuous restaurant in the hotel overlooking the river. And I was in heaven, rice and curry and kongee for breakfast... There is a ferry shuttle that takes you on a 15 minute ride down the river to meet the sky train. For 30 Baht, I was whisked high above the city streets of Bangkok and I alighted right at MBK, known as Mah Boon Krong. A favorite place for our family as tourists for over 20 years. The last time I visited we came by fast ferry boat and taxi, I think it took two hours and the water was a little suspect folks...
It has changed so much and I wandered the floors not recognizing much at all. I thought OK, at least I know the food hall.... not so, it is very upmarket now and I was unable to find our favorite chicken satay.... however, chicken and rice and sticky rice and mango were the chosen delights washed down with iced coffee... 100 bt. $3.21 to be exact.
There is an entire floor of cell phones... 100's of stalls... and they all seemed to be pulling the phones apart... excuse my naivete, but what on earth are they doing....? and I was able to buy a 'genuine' copy of the latest photo editing program for $4.20.
You can buy almost anything here... from designer t shirts for just $6 to the latest in Jeans and shoes. I have to admit, there isn't too much in my size, or in fact that I need. 150,000 people visit MBK daily and that may seem a nightmare for some, but in fact it's exciting.
At 4.00 I was tired of walking and sensory overload I caught the skytrain back and then hopped on the boat shuttle... to be presented with cold scented towels and a bottle of cold water... Fantastic.... I dined at a local restaurant rather than the exclusivity of the hotel and retired early.

'The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.'
- Augustine (354-430)