Search This Blog

2005/09/05

A Busy week....

It's a gorgeous sunny day, as I look out the window of my shed, the I'm surrounded by white and pink blossom on the fruit trees....My doves are taking advantage of the sunshine and I never get tired of watching them they soar pure white against the blue sky. The cleaners are cleaning my house so I remain in the shed writing until I can collapse on the lounge for a rest.
I returned home just a few hours ago from Cummins
My week began last Monday with a new venture in Sydney. I had 3 days visiting with the most delightful young folk who are forming our ideas in quilting...I am in awe of their professionalism and dedication. We had a wonderfully busy time... Our days began at 5.45am and I returned home exhilarated to the hotel round 7.00PM each evening.
It was a great experience and all will be revealed early next year.
I returned home on Thursday, went to Guild in the evening and left again on Friday for Cummins on the Eyre Peninsula.
As I was flying over, I was offered the most wonderful views from the plane window. As I sat there, champagne in hand, nibbling cheese and crackers I thought "this is an amazing way to travel to work"
Josie cooked us casserole and home made strawberry cream sponge and my hostess Carmel and I sat and chatted late into the evening.
The class was held in the local school and the facilities were super... Carmel worked on the sustenance and we worked on the quilts...
On saturday evening carloads of gals came from Tumby Bay, Port Lincoln and Coffin Bay for a presentation... and I had to turn off the lights on those who were still working late in the evening...
There is another side to this story. This small community has been shattered by the devastating bushfires earlier this year. I guess we can't imagine the fear, the desperation and sadness that an event like this brings. 9 people lost their lives. 80 houses lost.
Quilters donated 300 quilts to those who were caught up in this terrible tragedy. Yesterday,in the early evening, I was taken on a ride through the affected area. Miles and miles of devastation. The Mallee trees now look like fields of lace in the sunset as they begin to regenerate... the earth is green once again, hiding the sadness in it's beauty. "This was where I grew up" says one gal as we pass a pile of rubble... "It's all gone, it's all gone..so is this house, so is that one..." her voice carries the sadness and helplessness that we all feel in such a catastrophe.
However, the community are stoic, the land s regenerating and I was able to read a letter delivered the day of the class from a family who had lost their Dad... thanking the group for their wonderful quilts.
Quiet, enfolding love surrounding the family in their time of grief.