Search This Blog

2005/11/06

what can happen in 24 hours

Feeling tired and jetlagged in Hong Kong I wrote a blog that I just couldn't bring myself to put to air.... writing is a powerful therapy... however, 30 hours later I feel more able to express myself. Many of you know me personally, and would therefore be aware that our Son Matthew had a terrible accident two years ago. His partner Karen was killed. They happened to be in the way of a car that was out of control and sadly it has taken two years for the perpetrator to be taken to trial.
I arrived home on the final day of the trial and went straight from the airport to the court. I was able to witness the Judges final summation to the Jury. Then later in the afternoon hear the Jury find the woman not guilty on all 4 counts. It was ironical that I had just returned from overseas, my head felt like cotton wool, my judgment was severely impeded... I would never drive a car in that situation.....Ironically the woman who caused the accident had just arrived home from overseas; she had not slept for 30 hours. She chose to get into a car and drive...she chose to drive in that situation. Ultimately the decision was that she fell asleep at the wheel and ended up on the wrong side of the road and took the life of Karen and the heart of my son.... the law states that because she was asleep, she is not legally responsible... and is not guilty. Our lives have changed forever. Karen died. Matt lost the use of his right arm and suffered terrible injuries.... but no one is responsible... !!!!!! Our laws need to be revised.....We faced the barrage of cameras, questions and press as we came out of the court... but made no comment....Just 5 hours later we were to be on TV again... this time trying to secure our office in the event of a flood that rushed through the hills town of Aldgate... computers and files were shifted in haste as the river behind the office rose alarmingly, in fact to 1" below the window.... the water seeped into the rear of the office and then through the front door where a rushing river raced down the main street...2.00 am we finally got to sleep, office secured and the days events over... and a day to be remembered in many ways....!!!Life brings us a lot of surprises sometimes....The plane trip home was interesting also.... given my previous trip, I was given an exit row seat and no one sat next to me. "Super..” I thought... but a young man joined me after the plane took off.... I wasn't surprised because he had very long legs and it was a prime seat... but honeys did he have to take his shoes off.....!!!!! OOOOh my.Off tomorrow to Tasmania and a 5 day holiday with Keith.... Josh cooked dinner tonight.. I've visited with all of my kids and caught up with a few friends... I have no voice... due to asthma on the plane... (Maybe it was the shoeless feet) and I've had the nails done folks... all in the space of 24 hours….