Search This Blog

2006/01/31

Haiti

At present I am on the seas traveling between Haiti and Jamaica in the Bahamas. It’s certainly an interesting experience. The water is turquoise and the sky crystal blue. Temperatures are in the 90’s and I was surprised to find out that the water temperature is generally in the high 70’s just like a warm bath.
Have you ever had an image of a place in your mind and when you get there it’s nothing like you imagined? well it’s happened to me a few times but I can assure you that the Bahamas meet all my expectations. Bright, an absolute spectacle of color, clear blue skies and balmy breezes.
Yesterday I taught all day and teaching on a moving ship is a very interesting experience. 30 students arrived early. They had traveled from cities and towns all over the United States. I’m teaching in tandem with fellow tutor Sue Nickels and the 30 she had in her class Sunday and this morning will move over to my class Thursday and Friday. We teach on sailing days and the students end up with two 6 hour blocks of class and two 2 ½ hour blocks. Almost 3 days of classes. Both of us have used technology to the max, digital presentations, cameras and projectors. It makes it much easier to help 30 people at one sitting.
It’s fun and relaxing and for the first time, Sue and I have our husbands along to carry the luggage.
The ship docked at 8.00 am this morning, and class started at 8.00. So I was up early and ate breakfast overlooking the turquoise waters surrounding the Island of Haiti.
We were able to go ashore at lunch time after class. As I stepped off the ship onto the water shuttle I was greeted by 90 deg temperature and bright sun. Lunch was provided by the shipping company and we shared a wonderful BBQ with friends. We sat in a pavilion with the sea lapping the shore just a few meters distant. There seemed to be music everywhere. Keith and I stopped to watch and film the buskers. The cameras worked overtime, it was amazing, and just as I pictured it would be in my mind. I bought 4 very large folk art paintings at the market and spent time filming and chatting with some of the locals. The colors were dazzling. Bright orange, blue and greens…Fabrics and artifacts painted in every hue.
Our tour finished at 4.00 when the ship pulled anchor and slowly turned to towards Jamaica our next destination. I have 2 days off before teaching again on our trip back home to the USA. I keep pinching myself to see if I’m actually here not dreaming.