Search This Blog

2006/01/25

Snow

Today we sat in the Gazebo with large windows all round amidst a swirling snow storm, the light powdery snow was lifted high in the air by gusts of wind. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before an amazing spectacular. At dinner tonight with friends, I was informed “honey that wasn’t a snow storm that was just an entree”
Snow covers the road and the low temperatures cause ice to form. The snow plough clears the road and adds sand and salt which eventually turns to brown mush. Cars constantly need rinsing to prevent rust from the salt. At least we only have to worry about a little dust on ours. We drove to a neighboring town though tree studded fields. On the horizon the trees look like lace standing on white table cloths. The powdery snow was whipped up by the wind and skipped across the surface of the road, just as if we were in a dust storm. So I’ve learnt a lot this trip…. I thought those powdery flakes just fell out of the sky and built up. But folks it can turn to water, ice or big snow banks.
On a different subject. One of the advantages of being in the USA a good part of the year is being able to purchase goods at such a reduced price. In fact it’s just a bit annoying that I need to wait until I get here though.
Let me explain. I needed to update my Symantec virus scanner. You get a message on your screen a month out telling you that you need to renew your subscription. This year it was due just as I arrived here… I went online to renew my subscription and considering that I’m in the USA it gave me the choice of paying in US dollars or AU dollars. I was quoted $99 AU $39 US…!!!! I thought that was a little strange. Yesterday I went to a superstore and purchased the upgrade for $35 but I got a $20 mail in rebate… making the cost $15 US. / $20 AU.
The same lipstick I buy in Australia at $29 costs $9.00 AU here; Keith bought the latest John Grisham novel for $9 AU instead of $20 in the bookstore at home. We won’t even talk about fabric, books and notions, the goods in trade of a dedicated quilter. I mention this fact only because I have found so many differences this trip. I sure get sideways looks if I mention it at home.
For an emotional few hours and a musical delight, go and see “Walk the Line” the story of Johnny Cash and June Carter. It was our choice of movie last night and one I want to repeat again. I’ve never been a fan of Johnny Cash, but I loved the story and superb acting.