Search This Blog

2006/10/28

Houston

I flew in from Australia yesterday. We hit the hotel, then promptly went shopping at “The Galleria” till late.
However, today began early. 3.am in fact. I looked at the clock by the bed, sighed and decided to have a coffee which promptly sent me back to sleep until 9.00 am.
I’m staying at an Hotel some 10 blocks from the George Brown Convention Centre. I can either walk or catch the shuttle to the centre. I’ve done both today.....
I had to pick up my media badge and was able to walk the floor of the market as they were setting up.
You have to take your hats off to these folk who put on this great event. There is so much work in preparation. There were people up ladders, sounds of boxes being shifted, discussion on the best layout. Artificial flowers are abundant and beautiful quilts and fabrics displayed at every turn.
I think I counted 1150 vendors... now just how can one get around to all those wonderful booths?
First let me go back to the shuttles, they run every 10 minutes or so and are great places for meeting folk. I met a lady from Hawaii, a lady from South Africa, a guy from Canada and then we all sat spell bound as a lady from Intercourse Pennsylvania filled us in on the terrible shooting at the Amish school.
One of the busses has it’s air-conditioning turned up high... “It’s Freezin in here honey” she says “because we have a restroom down the back and even though it’s locked and not used, you can still smell it if the temperature gets too warm”....so, we all sit and shiver.....but there’s no smell!!!
One of the buses has a dickie door and sometimes you have to give it a bit of a kick to open it.... however, it’s a fabulous service and great for all those who use it.
Now you may wonder who the gals are in the top picture... well I don’t really know, but they told me they were standing in that very place at 11.00 am, (I took the photo at 5 to eight, just before sample spree) There were literally 1000’s of people lined up to get in. There is a amazing camaraderie as everyone waits to get in to get a bargain and see the latest on offer from the manufacturers.I filmed the start as they opened the big red doors. It is rather ceremonial, a huge cry goes up and it’s just like the beginning of a race, hopefully I can put up some video tomorrow...
Well it’s late. (early morning)
Time to go to bed...
I hope you like this new format.....maybe I’ll get to write every day to share with you.

Let me know what you think.


Pam