Search This Blog

2005/03/14

Memories

You know what I just love....Warm summer days, a cool breeze and sitting on the verandah watching the clouds slip by in a blue sky... For the next 3 days I am relaxing. What luxury.

Di and I visited the Quilters Store at Auchenflower today. It was a feast for the eyes. I almost got in a tizz, I just didn't know where to look first. You gals in Queensland should count yourselves very lucky with the stores you have available.

I love the Queenslander houses, the lattice, the lace and the doors on the verandahs. There are still a few jacarandas in bloom and the bouganvilla is stunning. I think every quilter should have a Queenslander house... It lends itself so much to the genre of quilting. I think I need one in the back yard as a studio....

How many of you have paid a visit to your Art Gallery? I first visited our gallery in Adelaide when I was about 10 years old, on a school trip. I was enthralled. I needed to know more so I found books on art our little local library and spent hours staring at the pages of beautiful prints. In retrospect, it's similar to a quilter admiring fabric really. With the innocence of a child I wrote to the Tate Gallery in London asking for information on artists like Titan and Reuben. Where did that interest come from I wonder... However a visit to the Brisbane Art Gallery today and the quilt shop... Were both the same... and made me aware of the palette I love. The softness and warmth of those 15th century artists and the colours that are now available in the fabrics presented to us. The Tate gallery must have been amused at a 10 year old writing to them... and sent me posters and prints for many years. I had forgotten those memories until today...
Wonderful.
I might add, that I'm a regular visitor to our gallery in Adelaide. It's just wonderful. Look at your Art gallery with the eyes of a quilter.