Search This Blog

2006/05/09

Queensland Quilters Annual Picnic Day

They came by the bus load laden with eskies of food, quilts folded under their arms, chairs, and the latest projects in bags. Angels was the theme......Some gals wore halos and wings and they were greeted with a gift of a hand made Angel brooch wearing nothing but a smile and a verse...
Mine said "Angels dream beautiful visions of the world"
They streamed into Beenleigh Historic Village smiling and chatting at the anticipation of a day spent with friends in the sunshine.
2 Large canopies were on the central field to give shade and the ladies quickly claimed their 'spots' and sat down to observe the proceeds of the day. It seemed like no time at all and the word was spread that "Morning Tea" was being served. I met a couple of lads of middling age sporting their shorts, boots and aussie hats sitting on the porch supping tea and eating scones jam and cream... they told me they were the workers...!!!!
A steady stream of ladies went up the steps of the old railway station to claim their cuppa and plate loads of home cooked goodies... I'm a vintage junky.... and I filmed the milk jugs covered with the crochet and beaded covers.... there were old fashioned tins of biscuits and the old Bushels tins the tea came in on a shelf above the tables... Bougainvillea in bright pink adorned the floral tables and everyone was smiling.... including me.
The ladies in the kitchen worked at fever pitch to pour the coffee and tea, their pinnies used to wipe away the cream as they piled the red checked covered baskets high with goodies... scones, lamingtons, shortbread creams and slices.
I talked to a few ladies... Marge was 86 1/2 years old and has the reputation for telling the best jokes... she was a "blue angel" and sported home designed blue wings and halo.
I sat down on the outdoor seat and almost put my cup on the possum poo that had been deposited on the table (probably the night before)... there was a large sculpture in the middle of the table where the white ants had feasted.
The Village is made up of dozens of old buildings and is absolutely charming.... I was so frustrated, I forgot my camera. Something I never do, however, I filmed as much as I could with the documentary camera. The 1950's wooden Queenslander with white lace around the quilt laden verandas....the burgundy tin window shades with elaborate patterns cut into the side which served to protect lace curtains from the harsh sun during the heat of the day....
I was in the middle of filming an old tin bath and bush furniture when I heard a siren sound and an announcement over the loud speaker that I was about to give a talk.... whoops!, I sprinted several hundred metres, camera in air and I arrived breathless at the microphone... fortunately they gave me time to go to the loo and have a drink.... before the festivities.
We chatted for 3/4 of an hour.... 300 ladies under the canopies and I wandered around with the microphone...just being honest about my travels and the like.... It was fun, but as I spoke I could hear my voice a few seconds later in the speakers... a strange feeling indeed.
Lunch was the trusty Australian sausage and onion in bread, and the smell was tantalising.... the lads I chatted to previously were the workers but were overcome with the volume of hungry gals and had to rush for reinforcements and more goodies.....
Show and tell and prizes for the best dressed angel was next and it was just wonderful.... what a super day.... 300 ladies who shared a love of quilting with their friends at the Queensland Quilters Annual Picnic Day.
And I had a ball, all in a days work.
Now I've just finished talking to our two year old who thinks I should come home on the plane and "are you happy Grandma".... that sure brings you back to reality....
Classes tomorrow, ongoing business overseas on the internet and a good nights rest to sooth the mild case of sunburn from today....!!!!
I wish you could have all been there.