Search This Blog

2005/08/12

Going Home

Two and half months on the road is an interesting and enlightening experience. After every trip I return home with an envelope full of lessons in life...
I've just been down to breakfast. I shared the lift with a young African American boy, about 12... He was dressed immaculately. "I just had to go back up to my room to do my hair" he said with a huge smile... enough to melt your heart.... I laughed as I got out of the lift. His hair was cropped to about 1/6th inch.... What does he have to do with his hair...? There are lots of young people here at the Holiday Inn. Its school holidays and many come in groups to visit Disneyland. I'm impressed by their demeanor, and by that I mean their presentation, both in the way they present themselves in dress and speech.
I came to Orange County to Teach for the Guild and I was given a wonderful welcome. Tuesday evening was a pot luck dinner...imagine my surprise when our table was set with fine china, beautiful silver, white napkins and a silver centerpiece supporting chocolate dipped strawberries and chocolates.... It was such fun... It seems that they have a competition for the best dressed table.... I think we won hands down....I delivered my lecture and they seemed to be in stitches for some reason... I also give a 15 minute presentation of inspiration with beautiful photos, (some 250 actually) and play it to an unusual combination of a flamenco guitar and didgeridoo. You can hear a pin drop in the room... and believe me students get more inspiration for quilting in that 15 minutes than in an entire class.
However, my class was super and I was impressed by the students innovation and talent.
I had the added benefit of having some time off so I went to Disneyland. It was hot and sunny...
It's a wonderful family environment... But it's also a place you can visit on your own and still enjoy the sounds and sights presented with so much care....
Now to pack the case for the final time this trip... I'm an expert I can tell you...
This time next week I'm off to Ballarat.... so the pace continues...

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor. - Unknown