Search This Blog

2005/08/04

Super Glue again!!!!!!

It's late in the evening and I have Battle Hymn of the Republic by She-Daisy playing very loud, followed by a little Bach. Another 20 young men were killed in Iraq again today. What more can I say... Whatever your religious persuasion is please pray for the families of these young men. I had a heavy heart as I watched their faces appear on the TV screen this evening. Most of them were only 19.
The past couple of days have been a whirl of experiences... These are the first days I've actually had on my own... I intended to do so much, but to be honest I achieved just the basics.
It was sad saying farewell to my Minnesota family. I'm always miserable and tense the day before I leave and I must admit, I slept very little.
I gave the legs an stiff workout yesterday. Have you ever got into bed and your legs keep working? I didn't think I was going to be able to walk today... This all stems from miles of walking in 96 deg heat changing hotels... The one I booked online was a smoking room (even though I booked non) Oh well, that's the way it goes. Win some loose some.
I intended to go to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts today. However, after a late start due to the build up of business mail. The writing of a new lecture etc... and of course I had to have the nails done...
For those of you who know me well, two more Thelma and Louise sparkles were added...!!!! Now the gal in the beauty shop slipped a little and she stuck my finger to hers as she was fixing yet another of my troubled nails... Neither of us noticed for some time. Then we realized we were joined. I envisioned having to cut the finger.. but we pried them apart after 5 minutes. She was embarrassed, I was trying to stifle my laughter. Can you image being joined at the finger to a middle aged Vietnamese gal half my size?
So I didn't get to the Art Institute. Borders was a good alternative and I was lucky to purchase two reference books on my next project. So I curled up in a corner of Ruby Tuesdays, munched on salad and read my books... Wonderful.
I love the Mall of America. You can sit in one spot and see the whole world go by.
It's used by the newly retired as therapy and exercise. Families come for days and get passes to Snoopy Land....On the shuttle yesterday, the banter was as excited as when I visited Disneyland. I passed an elderly Amish couple holding hands and walking through the main doors... I was tempted to follow them and watch their reaction. Mexican families dress for the occasion and Grandparents have grandkids in tow. There are groups of youth with their pants hung from invisible braces under their shirts. They seem to defy gravity. Everyone is well dressed, polite and smiling and you can walk for miles... and I sure did.