Search This Blog

2005/10/02

The joys of Train Travel

Traveling through the green pastures in the midlands of England. I'm able to get online on the train to write this blog, but not to pick up my emails.... however, I've just spent the past few hours answering students and writing instructions for a pattern to go out tonight..
So much has happened in a few short days.
I arrived in London after a 12 hour flight from Bangkok and the atmosphere and temperature couldn't have been more different to Bangkok. Just a short wait in the club and a hasty coffee and I was on the plane again for the 2 hour trip to Edinburgh Scotland... There I sat up the front in business class dressed like a quilter with all the shiny shoed,tweed suited British Business Men... They whipped out their palm computers, fancy mobile phones and laptops.... Hand so did I....A group from the Poldrate Quilters were there to meet me and they must have has some inside knowledge of my passion... we sat straight down for a chat and a latte.... Well the real reason was that there was a large quilt show on just down the road and we couldn't get in until 10.00 so we had to wait a little... but it was a good excuse for a chat.
The quilt show was just super... I'm not too sure how many quilts there were, but they were of a very high standard and I photographed almost all of them...
I was impressed by the different expressions in the quilts and indeed there was some very fine quilting.
I'm not sure how many vendors there were, but i would estimate about 20 or so.... so it was a super introduction to quilting in Britain.
My Hosts Sally and Ian were a delightful couple... Sally and I walked down to the beach on the firth and Forth sea inlet)... the colours were just super, The sky was almost black, but the sun shone from the other direction and capture the rugged coast in it's glow....
Yesterday was a class with all the gals and we had a great time... it was my birthday and they made it very special...however, it's always a heartwrench when you are away for your birthday. I ate Haddock, chocolate cake and wine for dinner... succumbed to sleep quite late after a lovely day....
Now I'm on the second leg of my trip today... the first was a 3 hour bus ride to Newcastle, and here I sit as hedged fields, a castle or two and stone pitch roofed villages pass by under a cloud studded sky... next I have to get a taxi to Waterloo and a train to Winchester and then I will have reached my destination...3/4 of the way through Britain in one day...
Tomorrow is another day and I can hardly bear thinking abut it... I'm off driving on my own to Bayeux France... I'm nervous and absolutely excited..., hopefully I will be able to get on line to share with you all...