Search This Blog

2005/10/17

Memories

In Starbucks once again and I have enjoyed a big mug of coffee. I do wish they would use china that is a little more refined instead of 1/4 inch thick stuff. I have to use two hands for this mug. It's whoppa.
Memories. I'm surrounded by young mothers with prams, raucous children and Grandmas with comfortable bosoms patting babies. How on earth did I manage to take 3 bambinos out at once?
I'm in a shopping Centre called Blue Water some 11 miles from Eyensford. It's rather beautiful and I believe it's the largest in Britain. However... the WiFi is the attraction for me.
Each time I open the mail there are surprises... conversations with friends, good news and sometimes sad. Smiles across the airwaves and the wish that you could give that special friend a hug.
I've just finished teaching at Eyensford and I'm off to Hastings if I don't spend too much time here... then I'm traveling to St Albans and then back down here again for a residential... so I have time to do Hastings on my day off if I dally here too long.
The countryside here is just picture postcard. Lush green fields with eyelashes of hedges and stone fence. The houses are generally old, white and quaint. The roads are incredibly narrow and winding and everyone drives very fast. Each morning there is a heavy mist which descends on the ground, enveloping everything in it's ghostly hue.
I've visited the local pub for a cider with my hosts Jan and Roy. Spent time with the nicest gals in the local scout hall where they learnt to create a portrait.. and driven in circles around the roundabouts...I've never seen so many in all my life.
All in all, a very interesting and enjoyable time.

As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.
Margaret Mead