Search This Blog

2005/10/30

Notting Hill


We woke at 3.30 after I received a wrong number call from OZ. !!!! little possums don’t they know I’m half way round the world!!!!!
Our route planned on the Internet, bus timetables sorted and an early breakfast saw us brave the cool morning weather to visit the Portobello Market in Notting Hill.
It began quietly with a trickle of interested patrons and tourists and as the morning progressed it built to a full size river. I’ve never even seen so many people even in a football crowd,
Did you know Portobello Market has been immortalized by the fact that Paddington Bear used to hang out there in Mr. Grobers Antique shop.
It’s a long, narrow winding road. The store owners are professional, slick and at times disinterested… no wonder when literally 1000’s of people visit their stores. You enter one door and pass through cave like passages, then come out an hour later having wound your way past dozens of booths specializing in all manner of wonderful treasures. Aromas of onions, sausages, coffee and fruit tantalize the senses…buskers play for their supper and the atmosphere is wonderful.
We were like little pigs in straw… just looking at each other and laughing at our good fortune as we found yet another wonderful booth of old china or fabric.
We stopped for a coffee and then came upon a line up of folk purchasing cooked prawns… they looked delicious and folk were devouring them with gusto propped against empty stalls. “are they prawns” I asked the vendor.
“Yes love, King Prawns
So we ordered a share between us and one bite told us a different story…that plastic seafood stuff… shaped like a prawn… how darn cheeky…. They ended up in the bin….and a waste of 3 pound…..
Hours passed, we missed Hugh Grant and Julie Roberts in the crowd so a quick look at our map showed us that we should visit Kensington Palace….
I begged Di not to embarrass me in case emotion overcame her on the approach to Lady Di’s residence… fortunately she was strong…we differ in our views of the Royal family… Afternoon tea of scones and clotted cream in the Orangery ...Designed by Sir John Vanburgh for Queen Anne in 1704. It’s a magnificent building with Corinthian columns, and Grindling Gibbon's woodcarvings as its most distinctive features. We just played ladies and I was equally taken by the design on the Menu cover.
We walked and walked, past the Albert Memorial and the magnificent Albert Hall through Hyde Park and into the city. We had an appointment with Gay who kindly delivered my coat left in the wardrobe… a short bus trip where the doors shut on me as I went to alight and Di banged on the door and the driver let me out as he took off.….next we had to catch the underground. I was jostled by a thug, who pushed me as I was going down the stairs so I kicked him in the shin… he had an unpleasant look on his face as he went on his way…. (don’t mess with an Aussie in red shoes friend) Just three stops on the underground and on leaving the station, my ticket wouldn’t work… so Di went through first and yelled “quick Pammy…run… and I did…. Getting smacked firmly with the barriers… but I made it….!!!
Dinner at the local Italian Restaurant and funny movies on the TV finished a wonderful day. !!!!!

Goodness what will tomorrow bring. No quilting that’s for sure.