Search This Blog

2006/02/13

Keeping Traditions Alive

The great thing about traveling is spontaneity. A casual comment from a friendly taxi driver gave us two of the most wonderful experiences we've had here in Florida.
Last night we attended Dolly Partons Dixie Stampede.
The show is essentially a modern-day Wild West revue, pitting the audience against each other in a good natured way as the South and the North battle to win various horse riding competitions. The $28 million production is staged in a 128,000-square-foot facility that seats 1,200 It features acrobatic horsemanship with 32 magnificent horses, festive patriotic and country music, singing, dancing, comedy, ostrich racing, a fabulous Southern-style four-course feast and plenty of audience participation.
That says it all folks. No quilting involved. Not even a hint or suggestion, just plain good fun, food and patriotism to stir the heart.
No I haven't become American. I'm a patriotic Aussie and a staunch Royalist. I love all the flag waving and hand over the heart patriotism. Cynicism has no part in my beliefs. No shades of grey, just red white and blue.
Unfortunately I couldn't take photos. I was just itching to sneak some... however; I obeyed the rules and made word pictures.
"Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits! Come to the House of Blues and experience our popular Sunday Gospel Brunch, featuring inspiring gospel performances and an amazing buffet to feed the body and the soul... "
And that's just what we did. Brunch today at the House of Blues turned out to be a highlight of out trip. I started snapping pictures before we even entered the building frustrated that I didn't bring the right camera.
Let me explain about my cameras. I have a fancy Sony that takes a little experience to use and I get super results. I also carry a Sony HDR camera to make documentaries. (no I lie, Keith carries it) and I have a little Sony point and shoot always in the bag. So today I had to use the point and shoot because I was led to believe that I couldn't take photos....
Quite frankly, I saw quilts in almost everything I saw at the restaurant. Made of corrugated iron and stressed wood, every inch of the structure was a picture composition.
As I walked into the theatre part of the dining room I took a huge breath because there before me was a quilt. In fact it was the stage curtains, some 40 ft high and 60 ft wide. A crazy quilt of huge proportions. Take a look at the URL Below. I spent time chatting to the manager and she gave me some information on the quilt and I have undertaken to find out more information and hopefully publish it for you all to read.

http://www.ihobf.org/download/Preserving_Culture_Quilting_Activity.pdf