Search This Blog

2006/08/09

Work as I travel

Just Like Grandma’s in Osakis is an old 1800’s house converted to a B&B and restaurant.
I could describe it as a place where Mrs. Bucket would feel very much at home.
Decorated in late Victorian style the tall grey building fringed with the traditional white wooden verandah hosts the most wonderful lunches.
But Mrs. Bucket wouldn’t wear her shorts like I did… I ate wild rice salad and a raspberry muffin. Both items made fresh on the property and absolutely delicious. As usual, I only eat half a meal…. The rest of the muffin is in the trunk for tomorrow’s lunch. There is an outdoor eating area set in a lush garden and then two separate houses full of unusual gifts. We didn’t shop, I sure don’t need anymore “stuff” but lunch there every summer is a must have for most ladies in our area.
Alexandria is a large town some 25 miles from Long Prairie. We drive past fields of corn, red barns and crystal blue lakes to get there. This is pure Midwest country, and I feel so at home here.
There are four quilt shops in the city. The first shop “The Stitchin’ post” produced the full range of Hoffman’s “silent graduations” a fabric I have been admiring for ages. At $9 US a yard it’s a must and I bought 2 meters of the entire range. 3 pieces will fit into the quilts I just designed.
I purchased fabric for the border of the Giraffe quilt and cream and blue for the Kuba cloth quilts.
People are surprised when I just pull fabric off the shelves with out matching it… however, the color and texture are imprinted on the brain and I don’t very often make a mistake. I can be in and out of a quilt shop in 10 minutes!!!!!
At another shop I purchased beautiful Moda fabric to make into kits….. $6.00 a yard, the warm and natural batting is $6.50 a yard. Michael Miller fabric for the back of the quilts was also $6.00 a yard.
Fabric for the kits and project purchased I felt it was a good day of work. Next to find needles to go into the kits. You all know I love “sharps” and Jo-Anne fabrics had just the thing. I already have the pens and threads so now I just have to make up the kits for the next few classes.
I purchased a new digital projector as my existing one is giving me grief and will now remain home purely for the TV. The young man in the shop was surprised that I actually knew what I wanted and tried to add more and more things to the list, poor thing he didn’t succeed.!!!
Several hours on the computer talking to students, contracts for prospective classes and my editor and the day was done….work doesn’t end on the road….!!! I just make the most of it.