Search This Blog

2005/06/18

Inspiration.

When I was a child I was always disappointed when the day was sunny and I had to be confined in school. I disliked school so much on those days. (I must admit I never really liked school at any time...)In the mid years of my life.. I now have sympathy for the Teacher who tried to keep my mind focused.
The past two days have been absolute gems. Clear blue skies, warm sunny days and certainly the days not to be wasted...
The small towns in Minnesota come to life in summer. 10,000 lakes support lake homes for many who live out of state. Towns seem to awaken and take on a new persona. Gardens are re-planted and the lawns manicured. Everything is bright green..... Yellow green, blue green and just plain green.
We can't comprehend re-planting our gardens every season. Some plants hibernate, but most need to be renewed every year. Can you imagine the ground freezing to 9ft below the ground... lakes with 3 Ft of ice.....!!!!
Yesterday we drove an hour or so to the town of Park Rapids. It's a neat little town with wonderful antique shops, cafe's, the obligatory thrift shop and of course a quilt shop. We met friends in the quilt shop and decided it was time for coffee...
Folks.... BIG is the word here.... big coffee and big cinnamon rolls. Believe me, the cinnamon roll for morning tea almost covered the plate...
2" high and covered in white icing it was a sight to behold..... It's a shame I don't eat cinnamon.... I stuck to a lemon scone.....
A visit to a friends house by the lake and an impromptu discussion on quilting.. finished the afternoon and we drove home guided by a wonderful sunset and the rising of the moon. It gets dark around 10.00 here... we left at 9.30 and then got home at 10.00. The car was packed with goodies...and the conversation flowed freely...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx