Search This Blog

2005/06/22

The road to the heart is the ear

What is it about the United States that makes me feel so at home? Is it the gal at the local dime store that says... "The Aussie is back" or is it catching up with the latest news of friends and their families...? Is it the children of my friends who welcome me with a warm hug and genuine affection."? Little Cody who is excited that I'm visiting again... I've watched him grow up and he's almost as tall as I am?
Maybe it's the fact that Long Prairie and it's surrounds are as familiar to me as my own home suburb. At home in Australia, I'm very protective of this US culture I share...I have been offered the confidence of the American Quilting community and I embrace their psyche
Thursday I was excited to take Kathy and Mary to Grubers Quilt Store. One of the largest quilt stores in the State.. Maybe even the USA. It's mind blowing... Kathy thought it was a bit overwhelming...
We visited St Bens in St Cloud and were privy to a wonderful display of birch bark products and demonstration of the artistry of the Native Americans...
We finished the day at with dinner at yet another lake side restaurant with family friends...I asked the elderly Aunt if she would like to see my tattoo... Bless her heart, she didn't know where to look...but was very interested when I showed her my tattooed eye liner.
Saturday we visited the Mille Lacs Indian Museum Let me tell you the GPS works well if you put in the correct address.!! So we did a bit of back roading....
The Hub was the choice for our dinner...I have to go there at least once every trip...There is country music and people come from miles around to join with friends in their love of country music and a little twirl around the dance floor. It's evident they are having a wonderful time....I must have been really tired.. I tried out my new sleep shorts... Cute... Comfortable... However, when I went to change the next morning, I realized that I had slept with the large tags still in place.... They were still comfy though.
Friday was the time to leave Long Prairie. I always feel sad leaving my friends... but we took off at the designated time... it was a clear sunny day. An hour and a half later we pulled into the outlet mall. The clouds began to gather and suddenly day almost became night. The clouds gathered and bunched alarmingly... then vented their wrath....The wind blew the rain horizontal... thank goodness we were in the coffee shop. However, our time deadline was coming alarmingly close. The rain eased and we dashed for the car. But we were actually following the storm into Minneapolis.
Driving through roadwork in almost a tornado is a very intersecting experience... But with three of us watching the road... We made it.!!!
I have learnt not to take the weather for granted here in the USA... well Minnesota at least.
A short flight to Traverse City finds us now in the upper area of Michigan.

"The road to the heart is the ear" - Voltaire never a truer word has been spoken. As a Child, Mother, Wife, Teacher and Friend I have had an uncanny sense of personal right. On tour ones senses become honed and I add to my experiences in every situation. !!!!!! I meet thousands of folk on my travels... I take the gift seriously.