Search This Blog

2005/07/16

The old Hippies

We planned our dyeing trip with great enthusiasm. Our mode of transport to our destination was a 20+ year old camper van. The temperature has been in the 90’s for the past week so we packed early and with a head full of instructions from the male member of the house we took off on our adventure. This trip has been one of those “one day we will take off in the camper” ideas… just 10 years in the discussion.
I felt like and old hippie in a V dub…. But we were in luxury. Our camper has a loo, a bed over the drivers’ seat, another down the back and my bike hanging precariously off hooks near the spare tyre. The seats are plush brown velvet, because they spin around and serve as lounge chairs when you reach your destination. We stoked up the country music, but the engine noise overrode it.. so we just talked loudly. Dear friend Joan drove with expertise and aplomb. Half an hour into the trip, the phone rang urgently with more instructions on safe driving and parking preparations.
The quilt shop in Park Rapids was our first stop… The town is interesting in summer, a mixture of out of state tourists and local farmers. My bargain from the thrift shop was $3 worth of embroidery scissors… (About 18 pairs). Before you wonder… yes I do need them. !!!!! They will come in handy some day. Lunch of wild rice soup (a specialty of the area) and a scone and we were underway once again.
Dorset was our next stop and I unpacked my bike and rode the rest of the way to Nevis. The gals drove and set up our workshop in friend Lori’s shed.
Many of the old railroads have been converted to National bike trails and the one I rode on measures some 100 miles. No I didn’t ride that far!!!! Eek but it was a wonderful experience… I rode past lakes confettied with water lilies in flower. Fields of summer wildflowers and dozens of birdhouses busy with new families. The trees are so different here, ash, pine and maple. Everything is unbelievably green. I’m absolutely certain the entire trail is up hill, the leg muscles are sure telling me so. The afternoon was spent experimenting with dyes…Our works of were laid in the sun reminding me of an Indian laundry. (They always dried their clothes on the road or nearby bushes..) We continued into the evening and finished the night with late night ice creams in the nearby town. I didn’t sleep in the camper. The temperature was extremely high so I opted for a bed downstairs and a good night’s sleep.

“Life’s simplest joys often bring the sweetest pleasures”