Search This Blog

2005/07/31

Small gems

Don't you love those times when you enter into a conversation with someone you don't know and come away with information that is an absolute gem. My lunch conversation yesterday was one such little bubble of time. Said gals Mother died a week earlier... In her 90's she was ready to "Go" She died in her sleep sitting on the settee. I commented.."That's surely the way to go". "Yes" was the answer. "She had her curlers in and was well prepared" Seems Mum had had a scare a few weeks earlier... In fact she actually had a heart attack, but took the time to put on her good clothes, her lippy, did her hair and walked the 2 miles to the hospital in 90 deg heat... and then was disappointed she didn't pass away. The faces of the rest of the gals at the table were a classic... how I wish I had a video camera... however my people watching skills held me in good stead. Mother finally succumbed to the call and laid down on the settee and passed away last week... not before she had laid out the most exclusive underwear and clothes to make her final farewell presentation in....
Seems Mother was a collector... how about 2000+ Styrofoam take out containers, all washed and saved for future use... As the conversationalist recounted the method of disposal of her Mothers possessions I winced, imagining the wonderful fabric she must have stashed and made a mental note to begin organizing my stash, my quilts... put down the ideas in my head and store them...!!!!!
Next adventure was a visit to a sewing machine business. Dear friend Lori is in the market for a new machine for quilting... so I wanted to show her the Janome 6500. The gal at the shop began her speal... I sat quietly and had to sit on my hands to prevent them from flexing due to impatience... There were sideways looks and a little nudging and the gal did really well in her demonstration, but was dismayed when I casually asked if I could "have a go" my friends smiled as I took off in a world of my own, quilting, stippling, appliqueing. She nearly had heart failure when I explained I didn't drop the feed dogs.... Joan explained that I did a bit of quilting and had been published... "Oh yes, I remember the name" said the gal.... I could tell by her face that she had no idea (or should have) as to whom this smart allec gal dressed in frog green and red glasses was who had taken over her machine...
Yes, Lori is impressed by the machine, but we can get it cheaper... however it was an interesting experience.... A small bubble of time...

"Opportunities always look bigger going than coming."