Search This Blog

2005/07/16

Wood Tick Theatre

There is a huge dance party going on… it’s called Moon dance and I imagine it’s a little like a small Woodstock. It's held out in a field just out of Walker Minnesota. We sat eating ice cream and became observers to the huge stream of traffic winding through the town… some 20 mainliners are performing over 3 days. People camp in the fields and there were all manner of mobile homes, Harleys and cars loaded with tents on the move.
We opted for a different form of entertainment, the local Wood Tick Theatre. It seems to me it was almost as popular as Moon Dance… well not quite but in comparison… but I thought it was.
Wood Tick is a small theatre that stands alone flanked by a field where students practice their gardening skills and the local service station. In fact, at half time many of the guests filed through the garden to view the upside down tomato plant and the potatoes growing in tyres…both experiments created a lit of interest and looked extremely healthy… it’s a great project. I guess there are around 7 buildings in the town, although I didn’t examine it thoroughly.
This is the 14th year of Wood Tick. There are about 8 performances per week. Most of the players are local and they seem to have a wonderful following. They played country music, gospel, a little comedy and some of my Fathers favorite oldies… young folk danced in the aisles and everyone visited with their seated neighbors… this is the way it should be folk. We left the theatre at 10.00 pm and joined the line of well wishers to the performers. What a great experience and I count myself lucky that I had the opportunity to attend….

“Of all the moments we gather in our lives, those we cherish most are the moments shared.”