Search This Blog

2006/07/15

Addo Elephant National Park

Saturday 1st July
I had two options when I booked my fare. Arrive the day of the opening of the conference or a day and a half before and get over jet lag. I took the second option and of course as nature would have it… I’ve had no jet-lag to date.!!!! So I had a free day today and hosts Beryl and Dave took me to Addo Elephant National Park. Dave is a volunteer Ranger and had a meeting this afternoon so it was just perfect. How lucky I am.
After waking to a beautiful sunrise over Algoa Bay this morning we took off through the city of Port Elizabeth and out to the park. We drove through the African townships of Motherwell and Addo. There were women with babies on their backs walking on the side of the road their shoes scuffing the dirt. Men in purposeful stride carrying all manner of odd shape parcels. Family groups with numerous children and youths dressed in world fashion. There were also a number of small stalls and a market with wares set out on the bare ground.
It’s amazing, just 24 hours ago I began my journey from a winter in Adelaide, now I was in the heart of Africa.
We arrived at the park an hour or so later, it’s huge approximately 164,000 hectares.
Driving slowly we anxiously looked out for wildlife. Listed are some 21 animals that you regularly see from elephants to lions and zebras. Luck was with us and we viewed dozens of Kudu, a family of Elephants, monkeys and warthogs, I must say I think warthogs are the ugliest of animals and what’s more they eat on their knees!
We didn’t see elephants in the morning but there was plenty of evidence they had been there.
Lunch break was in a large thatched pavilion, the weather was superb, fine and in the mid 20’s I relished wearing short sleeves and enjoyed the sun on my back after the cold weather at home
Lunch break was in a large thatched pavilion, the weather was superb, fine and in the mid 20’s I relished wearing short sleeves and enjoyed the sun on my back after the cold weather at home
Beryl and I did a small echo walk after lunch, The aloe vera was in full bloom, bright red against a blue sky.
Dave attended his meeting and afterwards we met up for a traditional BBQ called a braai. We ate boerewors ( a farm sausage) originally made by the Voortrekkers. It was delicious. And I had to pinch myself that I was really there.
We drove on and found the elephants just as the sun set. Vehicles pulled off the road and we whispered our conversation as we watch a small herd feed. It was a magical moment and I sat entranced cameras rolling and hoping the footage was going to be good.
We also found a herd of wild buffaloes What a thrill, it certainly has been an amazing experience on my first day here in South Africa. No quilting yet, but that’s to come.....

The sun set as we left the park, truly picture perfect. I never imagined that I would be driving around a game park on my very first day in South Africa. The camera was busy and my senses tell me this is a very special place