Search This Blog

2006/07/21

Friday 14th July

Time to leave once again and move on to Johannesburg
Odette allowed me to film her collection of embroideries this morning. I first saw one of these pieces of artwork at an exhibition of quilts in New Zealand. Odette has been collecting them for many years now and could launch her own exhibition. There were several groups that made these wonderful pieces. Kaross and Mapula. Both groups were established in the early 90’s to assist women become more self sufficient. From humble beginnings, the work of the women in both groups have become established art pieces and are now sold in exclusive galleries. I also noticed that there had been an exhibition in the Smithsonian. The pieces I was shown by Odette are less polished than the pieces I saw in galleries in Johannesburg but in a way I preferred them because they were true folk art. The stories came from the heart rather than from someone else's pen. Some embroideries depict the horror of the aids epidemic here, some show village life or proclaim loudly the political views of the maker. One fun piece was about the wonderful invention of the vacuum cleaner. No subject is taboo. The thread used is bright acrylic thread about 8 ply I imagine and the background a very heavy black cotton.
I left for the airport mid morning and then enjoyed an hour flight to Johannesburg. This is my first stay in a hotel in South Africa and I am looking forward to being able to use my computer and the internet. It feels as if I have had my arms severed without the internet. It is not just for interest sake, it’s my lifeline to home and family and that has been rather sparse over the past two weeks. The hotel is quite far from the airport and after my unpleasant experience in Durban I was quite nervous when my driver drove through the back streets. I couldn’t see anything that resembled the area the Hyatt should be in. After half an hour or so, it appeared. and I breathed a sigh of relief. My driver, Isaac said “Madam, this is where you belong” I felt like saying “Honey, you better believe it” As I walked in my room, I noticed there was a message waiting. t I was expected at a meeting earlier in the day.... so a quick change and I was off again. However, the evening was spent on the computer and the links with home re-established and I felt more comforted. It was good to catch up with the world again.
I fell asleep watching the news....