Search This Blog

2006/07/30

On the way home in the plane

Airports and shopping centers are always interesting places to people watch. MSP (Minneapolis Airport) is no exception. It's a huge hub and people are coming and going in great numbers. Do you ever wonder where they are traveling. Why they are traveling and the stories behind the faces. There are TV'’s mounted high on the walls to entertain, educate or just plain give you concern. The stories coming out of Beirut are foremost today and each TV is intent on it's own story. Sometimes people watch transfixed, other times, it'’s just a glance and a comment. Here we are sitting in relative safety whilst those on the screen are sufferinging the most terrifying experiences. I would call it a little voyeuristic.
I wonder at the stories behind the young men and women who are sitting quietly in the characteristic army fatigues of the American Army. The headlines in the paper state that Bush will send troops to Beirut. Will their deployment be extended.? I also feel like telling then how proud I am of them..In in fact people often do and I admire the Americans for their patriotism.
There'’s a story behind every traveler. No one knows that I'’m going home to face the sadness of my Fathers death. I don'’t think my face shows the sadness. It's interesting.
People dress more casually here. Considering that we are in a heat wave most people are wearing shorts, T-shirts and sneakers. No matter what your age. It's refreshing and wearing smart casual clothes is the norm. I'm in my shorts too until I catch the plane home in LA, sure makes sense to me.
The Somali'’s who have come to the USA as refugees are a high percentage of the workers at the airport. I wondered at "“Odette" the cleaner today, her head enclosed in the traditional scarf and dressed in an airport uniform, things must be so different for her since the upheaval from her home land in Africa. She had her cell phone to the ready and her ipod in her pocket. which no doubt helps the time go faster as she swept up the minutest piece of rubbish on the floor.
It'’s summer holidays. University students and youngsters are traveling from place to place. The Mall of America was a hub yesterday and the noise of families enjoying themselves was deafening.. I think I've just flown over Denver. I see the road winding up into the mountains that took me on my first driving experience in the USA. Unbelievably there is snow still on the mountains despited the record heat-wave.
I have a few hours in an hotel in LA and then catch the plane home at midnight.
It will be a sad return. I don't hink Dad would have really put the family through this upheaval if he had a choice. However, I make the choice to spend time overseas and that's part of the job.