Search This Blog

2006/07/16

Friday 8th July

It’s been a week since I arrived here in Port Elizabeth. I’ve learnt and observed so much.
5 days of teaching and lecturing. There has been a whirlwind of events and I am overwhelmed by the friendliness of everyone I have met. I’ve had no time to write my journal let alone take photographs. However, I only have a lecture to deliver today and I will arm myself with my cameras and computer and try to do justice to the quilts on display. Class has been rewarding as usual. 21 ladies attended class over the past 3 days. With a class that size it is exhausting, both mentally and physically However it’s a wonderful challenge and I relish the opportunity. I find this class to be emotionally challenging as students bring photos to re-create for various reasons.
My class room was quite small for the number of people attending. The room filled well before class began and everyone set out their projects and waited anxiously for the class to begin. Introductions aside we walked the floor. Each person in turn produced their photo for their intended project. As usually happens, some were going to be easier than others.
We spent 3 days together. A group of women on an adventure of creativity, and that includes me. I often need to re invent the wheel for difficult projects presented in class. For some it was frustrating in the beginning, and some it was easier. They pushed themselves to the limit. This is a class like no other. I’m excited to say that everyone achieved and I was really pleased at the results. I have never met a class so focused and eager to learn. Just a week of observation indicates that it is the nature of the people of South Africa. It was a busy day and I also gave a lecture at lunch time, but I took 10 minutes for lunch and a little breather.
At the end of class I spent time with a student who initially was on the waiting list. She really wanted to be included and spoke to me a number of times about attending. I negotiated with the organizers for her to attend. I’m so pleased I did, her reason for wanting to make a portrait of her Mother will remain in my heart forever.
The students produced stunning quilts. Although not finished they have learned a great deal over the past 3 days.
My first class, wool applique was very small. The fact is, wool is difficult to purchase here in South Africa. The organizers wanted something a little different, but it didn’t work. Nevertheless I had a great time with my students, we had time to chat, and as a result I have made wonderful friends. Molly, one of my students invited us to dinner on Thursday evening. What a delight. Molly and her Husband “Pops” entertained us in grand style with a wonderful home cooked Indian meal. I listened with great interest as the day to day life here in South Africa was discussed. It seems that in the 12 years since the ANC have taken over the Government life has changed considerably. There are still great distances between the races and it is discussed openly. With an 80% black population the balance of equality has tipped the scales of equality to one side. Life for the poor black community is thought to be a little more difficult than before the ANC Government. However I say that with no authority, just observation.

Saturday 9th July

The lecture room at lunch time was full to overflowing and the mood as usual was jovial. The fact that I couldn't get the digital projector to behave was no deterrent, we just had a green tinge in the photos. !!!! looks like I need to invest in a new projector, this one is unreliable and has given me grief lately, I think it will end up used for movie watching at home rather than my presentations.
I spent the morning photographing the quilts in the exhibition. I’m not certain at the number of quilts hung, but I estimate 200+. The venue was tall and spacious and the quilts were hung extremely well. However, it was difficult to photograph the quilts that were-placed high on the wall. I will do my best to describe the ones I admired.
Innovative creative expression is the most descriptive way I can describe them. I wasn’t surprised. I had a small audition last year in New Zealand and I had been looking forward to this for a long time. I've written an article about the show, you will get to see it in the future.