Search This Blog

2005/02/12

2 days of classes in Launceston.

On the bench in the kitchen are 3 big bowls of greengage plums. What memories that smell invokes. The plum tree down the lane from Nanna's house was always loaded with greengages at this time of the year, that was some 45 years ago. Here I am back in Launceston, the place of my birth and my emotional 'home' and I'm teaching quilting to gals of various ages..., some would have shared those times with me.
I love coming back to 'Lonnie', however, this time is very special, I'm sharing my enjoyment with friend Joan from Minnesota.
The weather is super for Joan who has come from -40 and a little cold for me. I love it in the 30's thankyou.
When you get to share your memories of a place with a friend it's a great experience. Joan has enjoyed meeting my students and my friends.
I've just finished teaching a two day 'Learning landscape class' and then Joan and I took off and celebrated at the wonderful food fair in City Park. I love events like this. Everyone was there. Young families, Old families, teenagers climbing the fence and babes in prams. The standard dress was cute casual and a wine accessory. Joan and I shared a bench with 3 different families and we 'visited' with each of them. We did the same with the gal in front of us in the queue... In a few short minutes, we learnt she was a widow, bought and sold houses and lived in Baghdad..
The weather was mild and the music super... I did think the guy dancing in front of the stage with an exaggerated grimace of intensity was a little 'look at me' but on the whole it was a great evening.
I'm so proud of what my students achieve, take a look at the projects they completed by going to the webhots site. http://community.webshots.com/user/caljin
I also gave the gals a shock when I arrived at the venue and kissed the caretaker.... he happened to be my cousins husband...

There is no beginning or end..Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift.