Search This Blog

2005/04/09

Chicago

I waited for the 4.00 am call, the eyes sprang open, the heart started to thump and I shot out of bed. Then the phone rang.
I don't think I will ever learn to lay there and wait for the call. I feel the need to be standing over the phone when they ring!!!.... I packed the night before, and checked where to get the trolley for the morning departure. I'm a dab hand at packing, but the novelty wears off sometimes I can assure you.
The morning was dark and freezing cold, and I walked across the road to the Winnipeg airport luggage in tow. A flight to Minneapolis and then on to Chicago saw me arrive at the Hyatt O'Hare mid morning...
The head felt like cotton wool and I just wanted to sleep. However, I needed to do my ironing and prepare lessons for the next day and I finally succumbed to the feather pillow and bed.
Friend Joan arrived in the late afternoon and we talked the talk of friends of the heart as we caught up on the news of the past few months.
Today was the first of my classes... "Please help me with Portraits." 20 gals and so little time.... I ran all day, and shared the details I wanted them to remember. Each person working on a different project... It was a positive and re-active class... we all had a great time. I never cease to be amazed at the wonderful results achieved.
After class, Joan and I relaxed for a short time and then went to the opening of the Quilt show and Festival.
Some 400 vendors and it seems the same amount of quilts. As I walk the aisles, I meet students and friends alike... sometimes I just can't remember who's giving me a hug... but it soon comes back. Friends from Michigan, Students from Houston, and students from previous classes...people who had a friend in my class! I love it...
Finally we got to eat dinner at 9.30 and now with news from home via the Internet it's time to retire.