Search This Blog

2005/04/06

Trip completed

Wednesday, April 06, 2005
To be honest it is really only Tuesday, but my computer is on Aussie time.
I’m staying in the Sheraton Hotel just a hop step and jump from the Winnipeg airport.
Well the past few days have been just super. Full of fun, learning and sharing.
Once again I was hosted by Linda and Husband Bob. I arrived a day early and had a free day on Friday before class so Linda and I took the opportunity to take a walk around Kenora, finishing the afternoon at the local quilt shop.
I was fascinated by the “chip truck” serving piping hot chips sprinkled with vinegar in small bowls. In fact I was able to sample them after a student purchased some for me during class on Sunday…. Delicious indeed.
Then there is the dock where you can 'boat' in to the grocery store to pick up your groceries. Of course it is frozen over at the moment, so you can walk on water....
Kenora is a two-hour drive east of Winnipeg on the Trans Canada Highway (Hwy 17), or three hours north of the Canada-USA border (crossing at International Falls, Minnesota) via Hwy 71.
The temperature was around 10 deg so I made an interesting adjustment going from shorts to snow….a bit hard on the body and mind but I managed…..
The lake is frozen solid and the snow is beginning to melt. It glints in the sun like millions of small diamonds… but Linda stated that this was the most unattractive time of the year because the snow was mixed with the sand that they put on the roads to prevent slipping… just in the 4 days I was there I noticed a huge difference in the level of the snow and water.
Saturday and Sunday classes saw 33 gals learn Drapplique and machine appliqué….
A meal with the gals before the lecture was full of laughter and conversation. I’ve enjoyed my time in Kenora… had a lot of fun with the gals and learnt a lot about Canada…

Thank you for inviting me folks and I look forward to returning.

Continuation - yesterday was a lay day because I don’t have to be in Chicago until tomorrow. So we took a road trip. To the USA no less. !!
400 km round trip to visit quilt shops and post a parcel…..
Friends Pat and Linda were the hosts and we set out about 9.30 am. The 10 deg day was a little grey but conversation in the car kept us on our toes.
First stop was the border and we showed our passports… The guy looked at mine, took it to his buddy and decided I needed to update the visa… silly sausage, he thought it was expired, hello honey… it says arrived in the USA on the 30th March….
We were admitted to International Falls.
Without a problem and the first stop was the UPS store… with great trepidation the 1776 quilt was packed off to Paducah. OK, I can’t think about it. It’s the only way for it to get there….
Next stop. Lunch. Very important on the schedule. We looked for a diner and found a small one with lots of cars in the parking lot. Voila. We hit the right one. Although Linda’s face on our entrance wasn’t too encouraging due to her first impression of some of the patrons. But it was warm and friendly inside… and the locals were sitting in their booths chattering and attacking their plates with enthusiasm. As usual I checked out what everyone was eating and a guy nearby had eggs and American potatoes that looked wonderful so that was my choice. Omelets for the other gals. For $5.00 our plates were overflowing and the coffee was hot and plentiful…. I love these places… so full of character. The folk next to us attacked big pieces of home made rhubarb pie smothered in cream and ice-cream… but graciously we declined the offer from the waitress to partake. I would have photographed the experience, but left the camera in the car.
We traveled up the road for about 10 miles to a quilt shop, Quilters Corner, located in a big log cabin. (I can’t find a web page) We chatted with the gals, purchased fabric and Linda and Pat signed up for a local retreat where they were informed that they could actually use the water slide at two in the morning if they felt the need… or even the spa…have a manicure or massage as well as quilt…. How could they refuse.?
Back to Canada and another quilt shop over the border… The Crazy Ladies Quilt Shop The gals attended my class so we felt the need to visit them.
Fabric in the US, just 10 miles away is $8 yard. In Canada $18 metre.
We traveled back to Kenora but first had a short stop at Andy Lake to visit a lodge where the gals are considering a retreat… it was just beautiful… it makes your mouth water… The lake surrounds the lodge and you could quilt right on the deck after using the hot tub. Judy (the owner) says they have a resident pack of wolves and bears….
We arrived home after 8.00 and ate left over lasagna and chatted until late…. What a great experience… thanks so much gals.