Search This Blog

2005/04/13

Long prairie.

It's almost 9 months since my last visit to Long Prairie. After visiting for the past 10 years it fits like an old shoe. As we drive along, I scan the streets for things old and new.
One thing that is very new (a month old) is the bright pink Chinese Restaurant. When I say pink I mean eek pink. Walls, chairs, benches. However, the food is terrific and only $4.50 for the buffet. Oh and if you are a senior citizen, you get it for $3.50.
Now Geno's the local diner burnt down since my last visit and has just re-opened in my honor. You can get a good burger at the old established "Irish's." It is widely reported that they never clean the grill that's why the burgers taste so good. Oh and you can play pool out in the back room and buy a beer.
The temperature dropped to 45 deg today, very different to the 70's we experienced in Chicago.
There is a growing Amish community here in Long Prairie. Joan and I have a few families that we visit now and then. Today we encountered a young man with a stout black beard and straw hat as he maneuvered his horse and buggy through the town. I wonder what it is like in winter without the benefits of electricity when the temperature drops to -40.
I love Long Prairie. Located some 3 hours North West of Minneapolis and with a population of just over 3000 people it is the very apitiamy of Mid West Country life.
I have a pushbike here and when the weather is better I hope to get out and do my stuff....